Craftiviti is an official licensed supplier (Type B Poisons License) of Potassium Hydroxide or KOH (also called Potash) for liquid soap making.
FACTS ON THE 90% POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE
- Used to make liquid soaps and detergents
- Grade: Cosmetic
- Form: Flakes
- Packing size: 500g (For bulk orders of up to 1kg, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- DO NOT CONSUME.
- Origin : China
Why soap makers love Lye
With Lye, you get to make all types of soaps from scratch. You know exactly what oils go into your soaps and you get to customize the soap based on exactly what your skin needs.
However, if you are a first time user, it is best to use Lye with an experienced soap maker to learn the proper way of handling Lye. Or, you can start start with our Melt & Pour Soap bases as the Lye phase has already been done for you. Our soap bases use the finest quality oils and they are the perfect introduction to soap making for all beginners.
How to Purchase
- You can purchase lye at our outlet or online for the purpose of soap making only
- A copy of your personal IC/passport is needed as lye is a controlled substance
- For personal use, kindly fill in the pop up form with your a copy of IC/passport and signature
- For commercial use, kindly fill in the pop up form with your a copy of your Poison permit or license.
If you have a small soap making business in need of frequent supplies of more than 1kg per month, it is best to obtain a permit at https://www.pharmacy.gov.my/v2/en before purchasing.
We're really sorry as this item cannot be shipped internationally and to East Malaysia. You will need to purchase from a local qualified and licensed source.
Why is Lye so Difficult to Purchase?
Lye is a controlled substance in Malaysia and requires an issuance of Poison License by the government. This is because Potassium Hydroxide is used in many illegal applications. Under inexperienced hands, this chemical substance may be hazardous to the user. All purchases of lye from this website can only be used to make soap or detergents and must not be resold. Reselling of lye requires a license under the Pharmaceutical Services Divisions, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
What is the difference between NAOH and KOH?
In general, Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH (often called just "lye") makes bar soap - solid, opaque bar soaps. Potassium hydroxide, KOH (often called "potash") makes liquid soap - flowing, clear or translucent liquid soap.
Please read the following link for a detailed explanation of the difference. https://www.thespruce.com/sodium-hydroxide-vs-potassium-hydroxide-517051
Do not add water to lye as it causes splatters. When diluting, always gradually and slowly add lye to water. Always mix lye in a well ventilated area or outdoors.
1st Aid To Do's
If Lye ever gets into your eyes or onto your skin, IMMEDIATELY:
Eyes – flush eyes for 30 mins with water then get immediate doctor's attention.
Skin – flush skin with lots of water for 15 mins. Get medical attention.
Inhalation – Get lots of fresh air. Seek medical attention.
Ingestion – Drink large quantity of water. Do not induce vomit. Seek immediate medical attention.
- Always keep lye in the original bottle with label attached.
- Do not store lye among food items.
- Do not keep in damp, humid areas.
- Always keep lye locked in a cupboard and out of reach from children and guests.
Warning This product must be used with caution as it is very corrosive.
ALWAYS USE GOGGLES AND GLOVES WHILE HANDLING. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.